Fish

We did not take a photo of every fish caught (many more than this photo) but I put together this collage of the photos taken. We kept 5 fish for the freezer (and dinner that night). Halibut and lingcod are the favorite table fish and we were really fortunate that day with two halibut (15# and 10#), two lingcod (both about 15#), and one silver salmon (guess around 8#). All other fish were released to fight another day. My Gulf Coast friends will notice a very nice flounder that was released. When you have halibut, who needs flounder! Their supply of fish in the freezer was just about depleted due to the poor spring/summer weather. This was easily their best day fishing for the year and I was very grateful to be a part of it. This one day put several dozen 2-person meals in the freezer. Yes, they also put Penny's fishy dinner morsels in the packages.

I have said it many times - they are going to miss the fishing of Kodiak! Every time I had the opportunity to fish there, I was not disappointed. You never know what you are going to pull up from that water - other than a decent sized halibut - those are like pulling an anchor off the bottom and fight all the way to the surface. You see me with my first (and only) halibut in the top left. At "only" 15#, I can hardly imagine the battle of the larger ones Josh (~60#) and Lauren (~115#) have caught. We were fortunate to land this one (good net work) as the hook was 1/2-way through the hard part of the lip and looked easy to tear out. I really meant to get that photo but failed to do so in all of the activity. All of these fish were caught in 70-100 foot waters drifting and jigging with a baited hook on the bottom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Wood Project

Springtime

Burst Bubble