My office

Click on Read More to view the video.


A view of my "office" at the university. It is a privilege to have an experiment like this to teach the real-world aspects of chemical engineering. I need an updated photo that does not show the construction mess!


This is a 20 foot distillation column separating methanol and water. It is controlled using a state-of-the-art DCS (distributed control system) and industrial instruments and valves. The system is indoors and spans about 50 feet in height accessed using industrial grating. It is a world-class experiment where students start up the process, bring it to steady-state, and shut it down inside a 3 hour lab period. I do not touch the controls - it is all them (with a little coaching)!





Comments

  1. This is where you have been hiding out all these years! I never knew what your office looked like. Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is out - only because the departure countdown is underway!

      Delete
  2. This is in the new Zachry building, right? I remember the labs being in Jack E. Brown when I was a TA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The large column has not ever been in JEB. While Zachry was being renovated, we had UO labs in JEB. They are now back in Zachry.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad the column is set up again! I bet the new facility is much much nicer than the old one (was it in the basement?) in old Zachary.

      Delete
    3. No more happy than me! It is such a great experience.

      Delete
  3. Katy, the lab has always been on the ground floor in Zachry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please include your name in your comment so I know the author! Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Wood Project

Springtime

Burst Bubble