Kodiak 9/24 - 03 Whales

We continued our trip towards Fossil Beach traveling down Pasagshak Road. The full trip is shown in this map starting at L&J's house. The road highlighted in red ends at Fossil Beach at the bottom of the map. The green arrow points to where we made a stop and spent some time.

To get to that spot, we had to go off-road and follow the trail below (blue line below). L&J have a Subaru with 4-wheel drive and reasonable clearance - all necessary to reach this point.

This location has steep cliffs down to the water. The cliffs are probably 100 feet high and you can walk right to the edge to get an unobstructed view of the ocean and landscape. Yes, I walked to the edge, sat down in the damp grass, and actually had my feet dangling over the cliff so I could capture what I wanted. Yes, Donnice was about to divorce me but I tell her it won't be necessary if her predictions are correct since I'll die once I hit the rocks below. I discovered Lauren is pretty close to my daring and enough to make Josh uncomfortable also!

A pod of grey whales were right below / in front of us. It was really cool to see. They were not breaching and I never saw a tail much less getting a photo of one but we got to see a lot of blows as they surfaced. Though the water was rough (windy day), it was clear enough to see their shadows but catching them as they surface was still difficult.

This is about as close to a tail that I was able to capture.

This is a typical surfacing blow. They were feeding through the kelp beds and did not stay on the surface long. I was very surprised by how long the mist stayed in the air and visible. I can only imagine the old whaling ships calling out "There she blows!!!!". You really can see and hear this activity from long distances.

More tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Wood Project

Springtime

Burst Bubble