Retirement Activity

People ask what I'm going to do in retirement. So far, that has not been a big problem given hobbies like photography and woodworking. One of the largest challenges I face inside my own head is having a purpose behind both of these activities. The bottom line is that I like to share what I do. There are only so many photos I can shoot nearby before they become repetitive and the personal joy factor goes down. There are only so many wood projects I can clutter up my house with. No offense to my friends but there are only so many wood gifts that I like to make before I could go broke buying wood these days. Fortunately, every so often I get the pleasure of using one of these hobbies to make someone happy. It's even better when they are generous to cover costs plus add a little pocket money. Such was the case with a job at start of the summer.

Many years ago, this couple had built a small house adjacent to their house for aging parents that have since passed. Recently they made the decision it was time for them to move into the small house and their daughter and her family would move into the big house. Downsizing is TOUGH as we have to sort through memories and make difficult decision of what comes with us and what gets eliminated. The small house did not really have the room for their china cabinet. They had a solution in mind and called me to see if I could help.

All of the cabinets were built by one of their parents with just a base cabinet in one of the corners as seen below. Do NOT judge the clutter! I took this photo as the renter was preparing to move. This was where the original residents placed their TV. Remember the days of small, bulky TVs? Those that do are officially in the "older generation" category!


They wanted the new cabinet to match the design of the original cabinets. They are super-pleased with the result delivered this week (as am I). I have built cabinets before but never with an angle in one corner and never with glass doors or shelves. Crown molding and painting are not my favorite activities either! One of the best parts about such jobs is the challenge of adapting and adjusting to hurdles not anticipated at the beginning (and even overcoming anticipated challenges). I had plenty of those opportunities (some self-inflicted) with this project.

A more complete view is shown below. Notice the crucifix on the right base cabinet. I made that cross for him to give to his wife for her birthday a couple of years ago. The original cross had been broken and the Jesus was one of her favorites that she had no way to show. Another feel-good moment to help someone smile.

I should mention that I truly appreciate their patience. I work slow and this project was no different! The good news is that I made a nice couple smile as they make that transition in life. My shop space is now open again to start thinking about what is next.

I give you a bonus photo to show the size of the cabinet. It is not small nor light. There is an ugly dude cluttering up the photo but he provides size perspective! He also needs a haircut (hopefully today).


Go make someone smile today.

Thanks,
Doug White

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Wood Project

Springtime

Burst Bubble