Ranch - 01

I took another trip to Waco in late May to visit the ranch with Spencer again. The first thing we see driving into the property was several adult jack rabbits. Jack rabbits have a special place in my memories growing up. As I plowed the fields in the spring, it was pretty common to stir up jack rabbit nests with a handful of youngsters. Some of the smallest were convinced they were camouflaged well enough to not run from the tractor. What they didn't realize was that I had 15-20 feet of plow to my side that would not be so easy to evade. If our dog (another story) was not with me, I would stop the tractor before plowing over the babies and chase them away. Sometimes I couldn't keep myself from catching several of them. I would have a cardboard box on the tractor to hold them until I got back to the truck where they got placed in the shade with some water. More than once, we raised 3-4 jack rabbits in the bathtub in our house feeding them milk until they were weened and then we released them back in the fields. Maybe I should mention that Dad was NOT supportive of stopping the tractor for anything other than maintenance. I would get "that look" every time I brought home a box of rabbits but he knew how much everyone else in the house enjoyed raising them for a few weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Wood Project

Springtime

Burst Bubble