Hummers - 02

These little guys are so agile and fun to watch. The number of body and wing positions seems endless. I will sit on my porch and just watch until I can't stand it and go get my camera if good light is present. The next thing I know, I have 2000 photos to deal with!

An interesting tidbit from a site discussing the anatomy of a hummer:

"Hummingbirds to some extent have the largest heart of all animals. Their heart is 2.5% of their weight. 250 beats per minute is their average heart rate, which increases to about 1,220 beats per minute in flight. The state, known as torpor, allows hummingbirds to conserve energy and lower their basal metabolic rate. They do this by lowering their body temperature from a normal 105 degrees F, down to 70 degrees F."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Wood Project

Springtime

Burst Bubble